Osage University Partners (OUP), a science and technology-focused venture capital firm, is looking for an Investment Analyst to support its investment team.
Preferred candidates will have at least 1 year of full-time work experience and a degree in engineering, math, computer science, or a related technology field, although new graduates with strong programming skills will qualify. This position will be based in Philadelphia; however, the work will initially be virtual until it is safe to return to work in person.
Instead of a cover letter, please share just a few sentences describing a project you are particularly proud of completing during your career or in college.
Osage University Partners (OUP), a science and technology-focused venture capital firm, is looking for an Investment Analyst to support its investment team. The analyst’s primary role will be to work with OUP’s investment team and provide analytical support to our investment and portfolio management activities. Interested candidates should have demonstrated a track record of academic excellence, strong analytic ability, computer science / programming skills, and significant interest in start-ups across a broad spectrum of technologies from machine learning software to therapeutics.
Investment Analyst Position Description
The Investment Analyst will be providing support to highly experienced investors and getting exposure to the deal flow and decision-making process of our investments into early stage startups. The investment team currently includes three Managing Partners, five investment professionals, and one Analyst. In addition, OUP has a dedicated university relations team.
Analyst day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Providing internal analytic support for OUP’s investment and portfolio activities
- Maintaining a Salesforce database of 4,000+ startups, including continually adding new university start-ups and updating information on existing start-ups
- Driving innovation and development of new tools/capabilities to increase automation and deal sourcing across the investment workflow
- Providing analytical support for fundraising, fund presentations and marketing materials
- Creating data-driven visual metrics and insights to improve internal and external operations
- Supporting the firm’s university relationships and marketing activities
While the Analyst will not be involved in deal decisions, investment and diligence discussions happen continually across the office so the Analyst will have significant exposure to OUP’s investment activities, its portfolio of companies, and to the world of venture capital.
The Investment Analyst is a two to three year position, after which time the analyst will be well-qualified for a diverse set of opportunities ranging from entering graduate school, to joining a startup, or other entrepreneurial activities.
- BA or BS degree in computer science, engineering, or a related technology field
- 0-3 years of work experience (if no full-time work experience, strong summer/co-op internships are preferable)
- Minimum 3.3 GPA with strong performance in major
- Experience with data analysis tools (e.g., Excel, R, Matlab, Tableau, SQL)
- Experience working with large datasets (e.g., collecting and cleaning data)
- Programming experience in C++, Python, Java
- Experience working with Salesforce, especially in a development context
- Experience designing client-facing PowerPoint decks
- Strong Excel experience (e.g., advanced formulas, graphs, pivot tables, VBA)
- Understanding of the venture capital industry and/or entrepreneurial experience
Other Desired Skills
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Works well in teams and strong work ethic
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Organized and detail-oriented with an ability to multi-task
Osage University Partners is a unique venture capital fund that invests its ~$600M under management into cutting edge technology startups across software, hardware, and life science. OUP has partnerships with over 100 leading universities to invest in their most compelling spinouts. Approximately 1,000 startup companies are launched each year in the U.S. based upon university technologies, resulting in the creation of such notable companies as Google, Databricks, and Guardant Health. OUP has long-term, exclusive partnerships with Caltech, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, Michigan, MIT, Northwestern, Penn, Stanford, UC Berkeley, U of Washington, Yale, and many others to exercise unique investment rights that those institutions hold in their startups. These relationships provide OUP with proprietary deal flow and access into advanced science and technology startups funded by top-tier venture capital syndicates. OUP combines this unique connection to campuses with strong faculty and grad student relationships to invest in a broad range of university startups including licensed spinouts, open-source software opportunities, and other startups within the university entrepreneurial ecosystem. OUP’s investments are comprised of a mix of seed, early, and late stage companies. We focus on all sectors of university-originated technology including network security, infrastructure software, AI / ML, computer hardware, robotics, advanced materials, energy, and the life sciences.
In 2019 OUP raised its third fund of $273 million and now has over $600 million under management. Since 2008, OUP has invested in over 100 companies with multiple exits via M&A and IPO. We are located in Bala Cynwyd, PA, just outside the Philadelphia city limits.
OUP’s environment is vibrant, engaged, and curious. We are a community of learners that has a deep commitment to the growth and education of its members. We value a culture of exploration, fun, humility, and team orientation.
Application Instructions: Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org